CPV Backbone Solar
Garrett County, Maryland
Fixed Tilt Solar PV
Total Installed Capacity
Up to 170 MWdc
CPV Backbone Solar will initially consist of a 170 MWdc photovoltaic solar project located on approximately 1,000 acres near Kitzmiller in Garrett County, Maryland. CPV Backbone Solar is expected to reach commercial operation by the second quarter of 2025.
The initial phase of Backbone Solar will be followed by the Backbone Solar Part 2 which will bring the installed capacity up to 208 MWdc.
- New tax revenue to the County that can be used towards community causes and benefits.
- CPV Backbone will create more than 200 jobs during the construction phase.
- Local businesses can benefit from increased commerce from the project and workers.
- Repurposes a former coal strip mine, putting a site with limited alternative uses back to productive use.
- When operational, CPV Backbone Solar will deliver up to 45,000 MWh annually of local, emission-free power for households and businesses across the region.
- Reduction in CO2 emissions per year, the equivalent of taking 26,000 average cars off the road.
- Adds to Maryland’s energy diversity and helps the state meet its renewable energy goals.