Competitive Power Ventures, Inc. (“CPV”), with headquarters in Silver Spring, MD, and an office in Braintree, MA is uniquely positioned to leverage global technology and financial partnerships to help modernize America’s power generation. We are driven to improve our energy infrastructure by developing and operating power generation facilities using cutting edge, domestically available natural gas, and renewable power technology. CPV is owned by OPC Energy, the first privately held electric company in Israel.
CPV is looking for an onsite SCADA Engineer to work within the CPV Information Technology group located in the Silver Spring, MD office. The SCADA Engineer will provide SCADA/Energy/Generation Management System support for CPV managed thermal and renewable assets. This person will have solid and varied experience with SCADA systems, plant telecommunication circuits, cybersecurity hardware (firewalls) & applications (IDS, SIEM), and NERC regulations.
The ideal SCADA Engineer candidate will have experience with the underlying database structures, configurations, software release installations, and network & systems design for maintaining reliable and robust operation. Experience with supporting the OSII Monarch and other OSII systems line of products such as SCADA, OpenAGC, OpenCalc, and Voyager is preferable. Experience with a multi-site redundant architecture including SEL RTAC and OSI PI is also preferred. Lastly, experience with EMS/SCADA support systems project coordination, planning, implementation, and development of and adherence to change management processes is essential in this role.
- Maintain routine SCADA system administration & maintenance including network performance reviews, performing database backups, testing disaster recovery application(s), and keeping documentation current.
- Design and implement new network solutions and improve the efficiency of current networks.
- Support deployment and monitoring of remotely hosted network backups to ensure successful validation at the corporate, SCADA, and plant levels.
- Install, configure, and support network equipment including routers, proxy servers, switches, WAN accelerators, DNS and DHCP.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data and software.
- Periodically travel to backup data center for system maintenance or troubleshooting.
- Configure, monitor, and maintain malware detection and alerting systems while serving as an incident responder during a cyber event.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Arrange scheduled updates per the approved patch management register.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex system issues both independently and collaboratively with the CPV Energy Management, CPV IT, plant teams, and with OSII vendor engagement.
- Calculation and display development and improvement utilizing OSII Open Calc.
- PI, PI Process book, and PI Vision maintenance and administration.
- Support CPV and asset management plants with RTU/DCS logic; and connectivity to OSII SCADA with communication circuits.
- Support CPV and CPV assets in NERC generator best practices, and NERC cyber security.
- Communicate effectively with internal groups and external interfaces, as necessary.
- Produce deliverables with deadlines and ensure various project’s completion successfully.
- Develop and utilize documented procedures and processes to achieve system reliability and efficiency.
- Perform 24×7 on-call duties to support all EMS/SCADA related issues.
- Dependable, reliable, and predictable attendance is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field OR equivalent work experience in computer science, telecommunications, engineering, or a bulk electric system control center and/or plant instrumentation & controls environment
- Five (5+) years of EMS/GMS/SCADA, Operational Technology (OT) network administration, computer science, or related experience is required; OSII monarch .NET architecture experience is preferred.
- Security+ or Network+ certification required, CCNA certification preferred.
- Familiarity with OSI PI and OSI PI display (Process Book and/or PI Vision) experience requirement.
- Familiarity and ability to implement NERC cybersecurity documentation and best practices.
- Detail oriented with the ability to remain focused on the accuracy of task completion.
- Positive attitude and willingness to proactively self-educate.
- Proficiency in MS Windows Operating Systems, MS Office, Cisco, and Linux; proficiency in MSSQL is a plus.
- Able to adapt to a flexible work schedule at times to support system administration, maintenance, upgrades, emergency issues and IT Infrastructure projects.
- Exhibit a professional demeanor that aligns with our core values
- Periodic travel up to 10%
- Must pass a pre-employment background and financial credit check
CPV holds all employees to the highest ethical standards and is committed to conducting business with integrity, transparency, and honesty to ensure our success.
CPV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted: February 7, 2023
Location: Silver Spring, MD