Competitive Power Ventures, Inc. (“CPV”), with headquarters in Silver Spring, MD, and offices in Braintree, MA and Houston, TX, is uniquely positioned to leverage global technology and financial partnerships to help modernize America’s power generation. We are driven to improve our energy infrastructure by developing and operating power generation facilities using cutting edge, domestically available natural gas and renewable power technology. CPV is owned by a consortium of Israeli investors led by OPC Energy Ltd., the first privately held electric company in Israel.
CPV is seeking an experienced energy commodity and credit risk professional to join its industry leading Finance team. This position is located in our Silver Spring, MD headquarters where employees enjoy a hybrid work arrangement and a competitive compensation / benefits package. CPV’s Finance group is responsible for the financial management of efficient, utility scale, operating clean energy generation projects that CPV has developed, financed, overseen construction of, and holds an ownership interest in, as well as similar projects owned by third parties (private equity and other financial investors) that have entrusted CPV to manage investments on their behalf. Reporting to and working closely with the VP Finance, this position will be tasked with further development, oversight, and support for the commodity and credit risk management functions associated with CPV’s existing wholesale power projects and new retail business that launched in early 2023.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with an analytical mindset that thrives in a fast-paced environment, comfortable taking initial direction and running with specific tasks to completion. They will have a working understanding of the commodity transaction lifecycle and experience monitoring them, including initial screening / enabling agreement execution, risk limits and quant analysis, transaction execution, MtM and position/credit monitoring, collateral management, and transaction realization/settlement.
- Present commodity and credit risk metrics to CPV’s Risk Management Committee
- ETRM management including updating/monitoring project specific (i) risk positions and limits, (ii) counterparty contractual relationships and credit lines, (iii) commodity position and MtM, (iv) collateral issued/received, (v) etc.; develop dashboards to improve analysis and monitoring
- Review and suggest improvements to wholesale commodity credit / risk processes established to date; help develop retail business risk processes and procedures
- Perform periodic reviews and ensure compliance for project specific Risk Management Policies
- Evaluate enabling agreement credit terms as negotiated to ensure in line with established internal policies and project specific equity/debt agreement restrictions
- Perform initial onboarding and recurring credit reviews of commodity counterparties
- Manage collateral process with enabled counterparties and ISOs
- Work with CPV quant team to further develop PFE / VAR / Gross Margin @ Risk capabilities, including determination and application of appropriate “stress” scenarios
- Manage receipt and submission of contractual reporting materials under enabling agreements
- Collaborate closely with other departments within CPV (wholesale and retail) and work with more senior Finance team members to deliver work products
- Build and grow strong internal and external stakeholder relationships
What we expect:
- Motivated self-starter that is detail-oriented, organized, and be able to manage several tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree with relevant Finance, Accounting, Economics, Mathematics, and/or
- Engineering orientation (graduate degree a plus but not required)
- 3-10 years of relevant work experience specific to the energy industry risk function at utility or energy trading companies, ideally including (i) ETRM/CRM development and/or management, (ii) working understanding of the commodity transaction lifecycle, and (iii) establishing / enforcing credit and risk policies
- Basic understanding of wholesale power plant and retail energy operations, including ability to contextualize impacts of credit/risk decisions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint (SQL / VBA / Power BI / etc. experience a plus but not required)
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills with a strong desire to learn and succeed
- Strong oral and written English skills
- High integrity with ability to handle confidential sensitive information
- Must pass a pre-employment background and financial credit check
What we offer:
- Hybrid work arrangement
- Opportunity to apply existing skills/experiences to improve CPV’s processes and contribute to modernization of America’s power grid
- Intellectually stimulating work environment
- Competitive compensation (base salary + a discretionary company and individual performance based annual bonus) and benefits package, including medical, dental, vision (low deductible, no monthly premiums) and 401(k) (generous company match up to 6%)
CPV holds all employees to the highest ethical standards and is committed to conducting business with integrity, transparency and honesty to ensure our success.
CPV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted: January 19, 2023
Location: Silver Spring, MD