Competitive Power Ventures, Inc. (“CPV”), with headquarters in Silver Spring, MD, and an office in Braintree, MA is uniquely positioned to leverage global technology and financial partnerships to help modernize America’s power generation. We are driven to improve our energy infrastructure by developing and operating power generation facilities using cutting edge, domestically available natural gas and renewable power technology. CPV is owned by OPC Energy, the first privately held electric company in Israel. OPC Energy became a public company in August 2017 and is traded on the Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange (TASE: OPCE).
CPV is seeking a Director of Internal Controls and SOX Compliance to join our Accounting team, located in Silver Spring, MD. This position will work close with the controller, process owners and other stakeholders in the support of the company’s internal controls and execution of the CPV SOX compliance program.
This position reports to a Vice President of Accounting, and will work closely with others in the accounting department and others in the organization.
- Oversee the development, implementation, maintenance and testing of the company’s SOX compliance program while ensuring compliance with internal controls, audit requirements and deadlines.
- Act as the key point of contact for the company’s external auditors, its parent company, and its process owners on all matters related to SOX compliance, including evaluation and resolution of identified control deficiencies.
- Conduct risk assessments of key accounts, financial reporting processes and IT general controls, and coordinate the scope of the annual SOX assessment process, ensuring adequate coverage in accordance with internal audit standards, Sarbanes-Oxley and COSO.
- Coordinate with IT leadership on the design, implementation and evaluation of IT general and automated system controls and configurations.
- Evaluate the design of internal control activities, maintain and update key controls, and ensure SOX documentation is of high quality.
- Coordinate and support the timely execution of control testing.
- Serve as the company’s primary technical resource on all SOX related matters, including development, refinement and documentation of internal controls.
- Collaborate with process owners and others to build knowledge and understanding of risks and controls.
- Monitor changing business environment for items that may impact the company. Assist with evaluation of new processes, systems, and policies to determine SOX impacts and design of controls.
- Identify areas of opportunity for process improvement.
- Prepare management’s annual assessment of the effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting and IT general controls for senior management’s review and approval.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum of a combined 10 years of professional experience in public accounting working on audits of public companies and public company experience working in internal controls.
- Experience in SOX management and/or SOX consulting a plus
- One or more professional certifications – Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) strongly preferred
- Must possess a high degree of accuracy in work; with strong detail oriented skills
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Strong project management capabilities including the ability tomanage multiple projects and timelines
- Ability to work well with all levels of employees and management
- Strong analytical and computer (MS Office Suite) skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Keep understanding of operational accounting is highly preferred
- Strong technical understanding of US GAAP, IFRS, SOX, and COSO is required.
- Excellent project organizational and effective teamwork skills
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background and financial credit check
CPV offers a hybrid work arrangement allowing employees to work remotely up to two (2) days per week, subject to in-office obligations. Required collaboration days in the office are Tuesday and Wednesday, plus one additional day (either Monday, Thursday, or Friday).
CPV holds all employees to the highest ethical standards and is committed to conducting business with integrity, transparency and honesty to ensure our success.
CPV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted: September 12, 2022
Location: Silver Spring, MD